Semester 1 has flown by and suddenly we find ourselves immersed in culminating tasks and exam review!
Exams start on January 25 and carry through to January 30. Please be sure you review your son or daughter’s exam schedule with them so you know when he or she is expected to be writing. Setting up a study schedule at home or assisting in review is an excellent way to support from home. Of course, our teachers are happy to assist students who need extra help. We also have additional support for students in our Student Success room. Students are welcome to drop by to review work, learn study skills, or work on projects they have due.
We also know this can be a very stressful time for some students as they try their best and work to meet the expectations of the curriculum, their parents and themselves! OSCA (Ontario School Counsellors Association) suggests the following tips for reducing stress with exams:
Coping With Exam ANXIETY
Even with good preparation for an exam, it’s normal for students to feel a little nervous. Here are some strategies to help you deal with your nerves!
- Get a good night’s sleep – fatigue can exaggerate stress
- Breathe deeply – this can help relax your nervous system
- Stay away from other stressed out students – stress breeds more stress!
- Do a brief review of main points an hour before the exam if you feel it would help
- Double check that you have everything you need – pens, pencil, calculator, formula sheet, etc.
- Manage your time during the exam so you don’t stress about running out of it
- Be prepared to not know every answer on the exam – no one will!
As always, please contact the school if you have any questions or concerns. We’d be happy to assist!